Sunday, December 25, 2011

What Christmas is Not


Many probably wont see this post until after Christmas, but that’s fine. Hopefully it will give you something to think about moving forward.  What does Christmas mean to you these days?  I’m not looking for your programmed answer, I’m looking for the answer that comes from your spirit… your true answer. I’m not looking for the obvious answer. Put some thought into answering the question. What do you do the other 364 days to bring your answer to life?  Are you teaching the true meaning of Christmas to your children and grandchildren? If not, you are not living the true meaning of Christmas .

I can tell you what Christmas IS NOT.  It isn’t a happy holiday or a season to be greeted. It isn’t a chance to get gifts or to go shopping to catch sales. And while festive decorations are nice to look at and makes the heart happy (at least it does that for me) decorated trees and fancy lights do not define Christmas.

Christmas IS NOT an excuse to gorge ourselves with stuffing, ham, cakes, pies, candies, cookies, eggnog and all of those other goodies that are oh so very good…  yum!  It’s NOT an excuse for parties or get-togethers to partake in adult beverages or to show off the brand new outfit bought just for the occasion.


What about Santa Claus? Nope, Christmas IS NOT about Santa Clause, Rudolph or the other reindeer. And it’s not about elves making toys, or talking snowmen. These things are nice fantasies for children if you so choose to teach it to them, but these things should only be taught if teaching the true meaning of Christmas supersedes.

I wonder how many families have watched stories about the birth of Christ. I wonder if Christ was discussed everyday, as we frenzied our way to December 25th. I wonder how many minutes families spent praying together during this “season”.  Was there more talk of gift giving, Santa and baking in your home than about Christ?  If so, then that’s the legacy you are building for your children. 

I’m not trying to be holier than thou. I have spent time reflecting on my own actions and what I can do differently to carry the spirit of Christmas in my heart everyday of my life. After all, we are celebrating the birth of Christ today; the son that God sacrificed for our salvation because we are so weakened by our wicked hearts.

Christmas is  faith. It is a lifestyle. It spawns a desire to live a life that is worthy of the gift of salvation.  It is your generous spirit. Christmas is to be celebrated every day of your life because it represents truth, love, hope, sacrifice and the gift of eternal life. Christmas is the day we set aside to celebrate the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ, so why not celebrate his existence everyday… in small ways?  Anywho, that’s my goal. I can always do better…. always! 

Happy Birthday, Jesus….. and  Merry Christmas to everyone, all year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment